Grant Featherston (1922-1995) was born in Geelong Victoria.
Self-taught, he designed lighting and glass panels before serving in the army from 1940-1944. Returning to Melbourne he produced the first of his famous plywood shell Contour chairs in 1951. Featherston Contract Interiors furniture showroom opened in 1956, and in 1957 he became a consultant to Aristoc Industries for 13 years.
Grant was a foundation member of the Society of Designers for Industry, the forerunner to the Design Institute of Australia. His designs received many Good Design Awards and he is represented in the collections of National and State galleries and museums.
In 1996 Grant and Mary were inaugural inductees into the Design Institute of Australia Hall of Fame. Mary Featherston is a Fellow of the Design Institute of Australia and a Senior Fellow, University of Melbourne.
Source: The Featherston Archive